Wednesday 28 September 2016

Shave My Spider by Tony James Slater

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Tony James Slater is quite possibly the world’s worst traveller. And yet, he’s thinking of doing it for a living… Faced with buying a car and getting a real job – or taking the money and blowing it on a six-month adventure around Asia… well, there really is no contest! 

Who wouldn’t want to visit exotic places, like Borneo, Cambodia and China? Who wouldn’t want to tackle the world’s most dangerous hiking path, tangle with the Vietnamese Mafia, and suffer days in the dreaded Mongolian saddle…? 
And who wouldn’t want to try five-organ soup? 

All he has to do is survive long enough to realise his dreams. His rainbow-haired wife, Roo, is determined to keep him in one piece – but he’s not going to make it easy. Six months around Asia will make-or-break them… 
Literally. 

Join Tony and Roo on an epic journey through the weirdest and most wonderful things the continent can offer. Share their hopes and fears as they battle the wildlife, the elements, and the laws of probability to explore six fascinating and exotic countries. Together, they will prove one of the cardinal rules of travel: that nothing ever goes according to plan. Especially when you don’t have one. 

Full of mischief and mayhem, this hilarious adventure is one you definitely don’t want to miss. One thing’s for sure; it ain’t no holiday! 

This is a comedy travel memoir, covering Borneo, Vietnam, Mongolia, China, Laos and Cambodia.


My review:

I have never read a book that made me giggle more; a book that would inspire me travel and put me off at the same time.

Tony is hilarious and I will be seeking out his other books. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, but the book sounded like a good idea and it seemed like something to lighten my days a little.

Well, it certainly did that. I giggled my way through this brilliantly funny travel journal, getting some funny looks at the gym. It really did brighten my days and made the countries Tony, Roo and Vicky visited so much more appealing. My favourite most possibly being Vietnam. It sounds amazing!

Things do go wrong for Tony, but those mishaps are so worth the books we get out of them. Tony’s humour has a natural, effortless flow and teamed up with so much interesting information about the visited countries, this makes for a fabulous and entertaining read.

Thank you so much to Tony and TBConFB for letting me read this book in return for an honest review.

My rating: 5/5

Book available from:

No comments:

Post a Comment