Friday 6 January 2017

Tempting Jo by Nancee Cain

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Forbidden love is hell...

Confident and quirky, Jo Sanford thinks her boss is God's gift to women--and she couldn't be further from the truth. Devilishly handsome, Luc DeVille will stop at nothing to lure his administrative assistant right into his arms--and bed.

Over Rafe Goodman's dead body...

Rafe, Jo's best friend, refuses to sit by and watch as Luc tries to win the heart of the woman he's always protected. After all, Rafe is her guardian angel. Suddenly, Jo's caught in the middle of a battle between good and evil. But the closer she gets to the fire, the hotter it burns. Now, Jo's going to learn that when love battles lust, Heaven and Hell collide.

My review:

I must admit that I am struggling with this one a little. I have thought a lot about it and I finally realised that if I read this book about twelve years ago I would have enjoyed it much more. It’s a sort of book to I think suited me in my early twenties before my reading horizon widened so much. So if I am really honest, back in the day I would have given the book 4 maybe 4.5 stars. But even now it gets a solid 3*.

Overall I think the story was good and I especially warmed to Rafe’s character. Rafe is your typical good guy, torn between duty for the greater good and love for the woman he’s been guarding for years. I even had a soft spot for Luc; your typical bad boy with ‘devilish’ good looks and attitude to match. Good and evil was well represented here and the story reiterated that one cannot exist without the other.

The one character I could not get on with was Jolene. And I think that’s why I struggled with the novel. I find it hard to read a book when I dislike the main character – it sort of throws me out of sync. She was supposedly intelligent, beautiful, amazing creature, but to me she was just this naïve, silly little girl that everyone had to take care off. And she really got on my nerves using the ‘words of the day’ in the wrong context. I wanted to shake her to wake her up!

To summarise I would recommend this novel as maybe a holiday read. It was a relaxing book and one that I would take up in between something meatier perhaps. The story line was there and the concept was good if like to believe in higher powers.

Thank you to TBConFB and the author for giving me access to this book in return for an honest review.

My rating: 3/5

Available to purchase from:

No comments:

Post a Comment