Friday 25 November 2016

Too Close by Gayle Curtis

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Cecelia and Sebastian have a connection like no other - more than just brother and sister; they'll go to any lengths to protect each other. Growing up in a bleak old farmhouse, their mother gone and their father violent and abusive, the twins have only each other to keep them alive.

But when the secrets of their mother's disappearance start to emerge, and truth and lies are thrown into question, events take a terrifying turn . . .

As Cecelia tries to break away from the ties that bind her to her brother, Sebastian is determined that the twins should be together - whatever the costs.


My review:

I can honestly say I don’t know how I feel about this book. I have given it 4 stars because it left me with some emotions and the story did make it interesting enough to follow through and finish the book. But I just can’t make my mind up on whether I liked it or not and I think this is the first time I am so torn over a book – on the other hand that is not really a reflection on how well the book was written, hence the score.

The story has enough twist and suggestion to keep the reader going and the bond between the twins is certainly very well portrayed. It also proves how much of an influence your parents have on your future life and on how a person develops as a human being.

Why I am torn is because there were no likable characters in the book. I felt sorry for Cecelia and Sebastian due to the amount of abuse they received from their own father and the fact that their mother disappeared, but it was their own relationship and their own actions that made me dislike them both so much. I found them both selfish and greedy and extremely self-centred characters with no thinking about anyone else that their action could have an impact on.

Saying all that I would still recommend this book to anyone who likes a bit of crime, mystery, psychological thriller sort of thing, because I feel that this book would make a great talking point – just to see if anyone else is left feeling like I am feeling right now. It also wouldn’t stop me picking up another book from this author.

So all I can say is: read it and let me know what you think!

Thank you to the Twenty7 for access to this book in return for an honest review.

My rating: 4/5

Published in paperback form 01 December 2016 by Twenty7 (also available on Kindle) and available from:

Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment