Tuesday 8 November 2016

Blakemort - A Psychic Surveys Christmas Novella by Shani Struthers

Synopsis from Goodreads:

After her parents’ divorce, five-year old Corinna Greer moves into Blakemort with her mother and brother. Set on the edge of the village of Whitesmith, the only thing attractive about it is the rent. A ‘sensitive’, Corinna is aware from the start that something is wrong with the house. Very wrong. 

Christmas is coming but at Blakemort that’s not something to get excited about. A house that sits and broods, that calculates and considers, it’s then that it lashes out – the attacks endured over five years becoming worse. There are also the spirits, some willing residents, others not. Amongst them a boy, a beautiful, spiteful boy… 

Who are they? What do they want? And is Corinna right when she suspects it’s not just the dead the house traps but the living too?

My review:

This is a second book by Shani Struthers that I have read and again she did not disappoint. This book is scary, bone-chilling and spine-tingling – basically all the things you would expect from a ghost story based on true events. Blakemort is part of the Psychic Surveys series, but can be read as a stand-alone book.

Told from the point of you of a little girl, Corinna, moving into the house called Blakemort at the age of five with her brother Ethan and their mum; the story quickly unravels and takes you on a journey of the area’s dark past that history tries to forget. Unfortunately the dead have no such choice and their evil takes over the house and its occupants, tearing the family apart, trying to destroy the love they have for each other. It feeds on fear and hate and turns the family upside-down.

The writing is brilliant, the story fast paced. It chilled me to the bone and as usual I forgot that I shouldn’t read Shani’s books in the dark at the dead of night as I freak myself out too much, but her writing is so good, you just can’t put the books down.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a spooky story with depth of characters, whether they are dead or alive. It’s a solid four stars from me as I would have probably liked a little more history on the house itself.

Thank you to Shani and TBConFB for access to this great book in return for an honest review.

My rating: 4/5

Book is available from:


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for a great review, glad you enjoyed it and sorry about the scares!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I do love to be scared. It only took me to my mid twenties to be able to fall asleep with no lights on x

      Delete